The Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) has joined with the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) in educating the public about the benefits and proper handling of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs, or CFLs, to protect people and the environment.
CFLs have become a popular way to provide light, while reducing energy consumption. However, it is important that people are aware that CFLs contain small amounts of mercury and must be handled and disposed of properly to avoid an unnecessary mercury release.
"The proper disposal and clean-up of broken compact fluorescent light bulbs is important due to the mercury vapor that can be released by a broken bulb," stated DPH Commissioner J. Robert Galvin, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A. "While the amount of mercury released by a broken bulb is very
small and may not affect most people, even small exposures can affect the developing brain and central nervous system in fetuses and young children. Pregnant women and young children should be sure to stay out of a room where a compact fluorescent light bulb has been broken until several days after it has been cleaned up."
For the fact sheet on how to clean up a broken bulb, see the fact sheet