Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Wal-Mart's Tropical Fish

Why is Wal-mart still allowed to sell live, tropical fish? As much as I like shopping at Wal-mart in general, this store does a terrible disservice to the tropical fish industry. Not all Wal-mart stores sell fish, and that's a good thing! As for the ones that do, never once have I've seen a Wal-mart store with healthy looking tropical fish. The employees working the pet area have absolutely no training or knowledge in regards to fish.

When buying fish, it's always good to make sure the type you're buying are compatible with the fish in the tank where you plan to put these new fish. A good pet store, or even an average one for that matter, will have general knowledge of fish compatibility. Good luck getting any type of answers when at Wal-mart.

For the sake of your tanks, you're betting off avoiding the purchase of fish at Wal-mart or any other pet store where the fish look sickly or the staff has very little knowledge about caring for fish. Bringing a sick fish home to an already established tank can be hazardous to your current fish. Introducing new fish could mean introducing new diseases and killing the fish you already have.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice. The pet store in our town has people who have had fish of all kinds for years.I'm afraid the Walmart people have transferred in from Housewares.

Anonymous said...

I had a bad experience at Petco, too, when I had my tank. It's sad they sell fish at some Walmarts. They don't at the one by me, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Those tanks always look so dirty.

Anonymous said...

my local tropical fish store is the most disgusting place you will ever lay eyes on.

Anonymous said...

my local tropical fish store is the most disgusting place you will ever lay eyes on.

Anonymous said...

The wal-mart that i go to has either died, dying, or VERY sick fish. One fish tank was filled only with dead fish and it was like that for weeks

Penis Enlargement said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

Medicine said...

A good pet store, or even an average one for that matter,
will have general knowledge of fish compatibility.

airbnb clone said...

Such a wonderful post. Thanks for the share.
Angry birds flash| Angry birds flash| airbnb clone|

www.tabletpc-shop.info said...

It can't really have effect, I believe this way.

Hcg weight loss said...

wow great i have read many articles about this topic and everytime i learn something new i dont think it will ever stop always new info , Thanks for all of your hard work!

www.coru�a-3d.com said...

Gosh, there's a lot of helpful material above!

www.mueblesencorbera.com said...

I found a lot of useful data in this post!

Anonymous said...

When I walked into the fish department at my local Walmart, I didn't know a thing about what to buy for my dream of owning an aquarium or what kind of fish I needed. The sales associate, Michael, what so helpful. He explained what size tank I needed, which filter to get, what fish would work best in the environment I plan to provide and which food is best. I also noticed that he didn't suggest the more expensive items but instead every item was super cheap! He spent about 30 minutes with me and when I apologized, he said "No problem, hey that's job security!" I left feeling like an expert, but not before he bid me farewell by saying "Have a blessed day!" My tropical fish is fairly large and so vibrant and beautiful. The best part? My fish was only around 2 bucks. I'm always so thankful to Walmart for their low prices!