Friday, March 16, 2007

Hyper Pet? It's my own fault!


Seems like whenever my dog gets a little crazy, I'm always quick to yell at him to calm down. I know the yelling doesn't really help the situation, but it does make me feel better.

So is it the dog's fault? Is it just his nature? Not really. It's my fault. A dog needs regular exercise. They need play time. My dog likes to play rough, so I need to make sure I get him tired on a daily basis.

A dog, especially a young one like mine (15 months old), has a lot of energy to burn. If I don't help him burn it off with regular walks, play time, trips to the dog park, and exercise, he'll find a way to burn it off himself. He gets bored and starts with the toilet paper roll. Then he may move on to "digging" motions on my furniture. Of course, my first (and wrong) reaction is to yell at him to cut it out. To blame him for being a crazy dog. It's not his fault he's crazy, it's mine for not giving him enough physical activity. On days when he gets two walks a day, he's a joy to be with at night. On those other nights when schedules, or weather, doesn't allow his night time walk, he's a terror around the house.

So what to do? The best thing is to find a way for him to run around. A long walk, a fenced in park for him to run, a "play date" with another dog, or just playing fetch around the house, are all great activities for allowing the dog to burn off some energy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. So many people try to blame the dog for bad behavior instead of looking at the human for not structuring a world for the dog to be a good dog.

Anonymous said...

We have the cutest dog ever! Nice article babe :).

zodiapet said...

You make some very good points. We must remember that dogs especially the young ones need stimulation not only physical but mental stimulation as well. Once these needs are met you will be amazed as to how they calm down.

Medicine said...

Of course, my first (and wrong) reaction is to yell at him to cut it out. To blame him for being a crazy dog. It's not his fault he's crazy, it's mine for not giving him enough physical activity.

Anonymous said...

How do you do? We simply love your terrific blog thank you and please stick to it

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just noticed your web page: Hot Sexy Chicks » College chicks having wild sexual experience at campus when I was searching digg.com. It looks as though someone loved your website so much they decided to bookmark it. I'll certainly be coming here more often.