Thursday, December 6, 2007

Car Travel with Your Pet - Tips

I originally posted this last spring. But all the travelling people do during the holiday season, I thought it would helpful to post it again.

I was doing some research on travelling with your pet by car, and found this on petfinder.com.

Take your companion animal for a veterinary check-up and obtain a health certificate and documentation of inoculations.

If your pet has never been in a car, take him on short trips to condition him for the journey. Remember, traveling can be very stressful for a pet; you should try to eliminate as much stress as you can.

Animals should be secure during the trip and not allowed to jump around or hang out of the window. For this reason, a crate or carrier is recommended:
A strong, wire mesh crate, not permitted for air travel, is preferable for car trips because it allows ample ventilation.

The crate must be large enough for your pet to stand, turn around and lie down in.
Line the bottom with towels to absorb accidents. Attach bowls for food and water, to be given at intervals during the trip.

Accustom your pet to the crate prior to the journey.
Your pet should wear a flat-buckled ID collar with its name, your address and telephone number. For additional protection, consider tattooing him.

Try to avoid traveling in extreme weather conditions. If you must travel in hot weather, do it in the morning or evening.

Exercise and water should be given during rest stops. Do not allow your pet to run loose at rest areas. No matter how well trained an animal is, this is a new experience and an accident could happen.

Under no circumstances leave animal alone in a parked car. It takes only minutes for an animal to develop heatstroke in hot conditions or to freeze in cold.

If you are planning to stay in a hotel, make arrangements prior to starting your trip. Your pet should be a welcome guest.

When you arrive at your destination, keep your pet in a calm, quiet area and give him plenty of time to adjust to his new environment.

Tranquilization is not recommended.

Courtesy of ASPCA424 East 92 StreetNew York, NY 10128-6804(212) 876-7700http://www.aspca.org

Trackposted to Pet's Garden Blog, Right Pundits, Maggie's Notebook, basil's blog, The Pink Flamingo, The Amboy Times, The Bullwinkle Blog, and Conservative Cat, thanks to Linkfest Haven Deluxe.

7 comments:

Pet and The Bengal Brats said...

I think microchiping is much more effective!

Anonymous said...

Love the new pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Good points for traveling with dogs. There are also seat belt attachments for dogs which I've found to be preferable to crating them.

zodiapet said...

I have found some wonderful travel products on this website www.specialforpets.com They have vehicle safety harnesses and protect your dog while allowing them to safely lie down. They also have seat covers and the cute Pet Booster Seat. I just love to travel with my dogs and now I can do it without the worry!

bernie said...

I linked to you from UFOs, Black Holes, and the Fifth Grade
Excerpt: A few weeks back I was listening to Art Bell's radio show Coast to Coast AM which I tune into now and again when I get tired of Liberal Lunacy and need to hear people discussing normal things like alien abductions, the planet's imminent destruction due to climate change, and trans-dimensional experiences.

Anonymous said...

Hey, some really good info here. I've learned a lot.
Author of Traveling With Your Pet

Anonymous said...

I love taking my dog with me everywhere I go!