Here's a list of a few great things to do to keep your dog safe:
1. Keep a collar on to identify your dog. Every dog should have a collar. This is the best way to be reunited with your dog quickly if he is ever lost or injured. You'd be surprised how often this happens.
2. ID your dog. Please use an ID tag and microchip in case your dog gets lost or gets out and loses his collar. Many people are never reunited with their pets because the pets don't have any form of identification.
3. Keep a leash or harness by the door in case you need to get out of house quickly with your dog or dogs - especially in case of a fire or other critical emergency. Keep multiple leashes if you have multiple dogs.
4. Keep fire safety stickers on the house so firemen will know how many of each kind of pet are inside.
5. Observe your dog for problems and know the common signs of illness. Call your vet when you detect a problem.
6. Keep emergency phone numbers handy e.g. vet, emergency clinic, humane society, animal rescue, poison control. Print and keep this list of emergency phone numbers handy. You never know when you will need it. Go to: http://www.petplace.com/emergency-numbers