HUMAN SNACKS & TREATS TO WATCH OUT FOR
Wellness food brand sends out a periodical newsletter with information and tips for pets. Although they don't advocate giving human food to pets, they do identify 5 common everyday threats to your animals.
This is from an article they sent recently :
1. Xylitol – This sweetener is used in sugar free chewing gums and candies, and is available in a powdered form for use in baking. In people, this five carbon sugar alcohol is used in diabetic dietetics and does not impact insulin levels. However, xylitol is a strong promoter of insulin release in dogs leading to hypoglycemia. Common presenting clinical signs in affected dogs include vomiting, weakness, ataxia, seizures, and collapse. In 2007 ACVIM Research Abstracts, Dr. Lyman and Dr. Bichsel discussed toxic effects seen with ingestion of 150 mg xylitol/ kg of body weight; consisting of hypoglycemia and hepatic failure. That is about 680 mg xylitol for a 10 pound dog. (A teaspoon of xylitol weighs about 5 grams)
2. Macadamia Nuts – Macadamia nuts consumption by dogs has been associated with toxic clinical signs consisting of hind leg weakness, depression and tremors. However, no mortality has been reported.
3. Grapes & Raisins – Grape and raisin ingestion has been reported to cause renal toxicity in dogs. The specific mechanism is not known with clinical pathologic findings related to acute renal failure.
4. Chocolate – Another beloved human treat that can make pets ill. It can contain high levels of fat, and methylxanthine. The darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems, which include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased thirst and urination, arrhythmias, and tremors/seizures. According to ASPCA Poison Control, "As little as 20 ounces of milk chocolate or 2 ounces of baking chocolate can cause problems for a 10 pound dog."
5. Easter Basket Grass – Although not exactly a human snack, this festive artificial turf surrounding candy and goodies is especially attractive to kittens. It is often played with and eaten and can cause intestinal obstruction or act as a linear foreign body.
Information taken from Wellness newsletter. http://app.bronto.com/public/?q=message_preview&t=0&fn=Key&id=bprmhzutvibvqrhgdmdvikloeadobif